Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

no time to write when its adventure time...

Ok honestly I have no idea how so many travelers have 'travel blogs'. I thought that would be easy, telling stories along the way, but it is ridiculous actually. I mean don't get me wrong I have numerous stories for you like how Switzerland ended for me and my 3 comrades - how we hiked up a massive hill to explore a castle in the middle of the night on 'all hallows eve'. Or how I spent my last week in Germany helping coach basketball camps which were an adventure all in their own considering basketball hasn't touched my fingertips for a year or for the fact that I don't know a lick of German. But I could go on and on about those camps, about how fun they were, how much I loved being back on the court, how I fell in love with each of those kids or how proud I am of the work Christian and Janis have done there.

But then again I don't have enough hours in my life to describe being back in London to you. How I spent every second of the last two days going so that we could see all the major sites in London, all the ones I've already seen plus Buckingham Palace and London Tower Bridge and riding the London Eye and more. So yes its obvious I could fill you with stories of events that have happened, adventures I've partaken in, world wonders I have seen, but do you realize I could probably double those stories while trying to explain to you the things that are on my heart and the things that my mind have been thinking?

I wish I could describe my 3 travel buddies, my british bearded, pipe-smoking, tender-hearted, star wars lover, Mr.Mack; or the out-going, kind hearted, strong-willed leader my friend Christian is, and his wife, my dear friend Janis who is the most adorable, hospitable, loving woman you could ever have the honor of be-freinding. All 3 are ridiculously incredible, all of them opinionated with strong characters, all of them God-fearing and people loving, all of them made me smile and laugh and feel so blessed to call them friend.

But I mean as much as I tried to think of my beloved mates my mind has continually been wondering back and forth to things in front of me; like culture and the differences between south africa and europe and america, like food or fashion, like lifestyles, traditions, societies, even discrimination, cultivation, education and sophistication. As well as the things in front of me; like my future and the upcoming travels and the responsibilities that need to be handled or how God still hasn't pointed me in a direction for January.

My mind and heart are just as much all over the map right now as I am physically.

4 days ago I was in Germany, 7 days ago I was in Switzerland, less than 2 weeks ago I was in South Africa, in 1 week I will be flying to America, and in 3 days I turn 23. But tonight I am in London and tomorrow morning I will be in Scotland.

So with that said, that hectic schedule, the fact that I have been in 6 countries in 2 weeks and in one week I'll have 2 more to add, the fact that I have traveled over thousands of miles, and jumped between languages, currencies and time zones that is the only excuse I have for not sharing all my stories with you - that is my justification. And why I still have no idea how all those travelers do it, I'm actually thinking a lot of those travel bloggers go to these amazing places and then spend a handful of hours on their laptop everyday instead of truly immersing themselves in cultures and relationships. But maybe someday I will master it, maybe even on this 3-month travel period I have committed myself too!!

But tonight I will go to bed, smiling for the dreams I have achieved, peaceful for the God I serve is so good and loves me more than I deserve and anxious because yet again I have another adventure awaiting me in a few hours and just a bus, train and plane ride away.

So good night... for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment