Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Meandering mortality

Once again I have a day to meander around London town, this great city with so much charisma with so much history inside every crack and corner.

I have traveled a lot these past few weeks. From South Africa to London to Germany and Switzerland to Scotland and back again and still the adventures are not done. I have 2 full days left here in London and then I'm headed state bound. And once I'm back on American soil I will constantly be moving still for another handful of weeks.

It's hard to sit down and focus when your traveling so much. You would think it would be a great time for rest and relaxation for reflection, but honestly it's not. Your going every single day all day and sleeping whenever you find the chance, or the most comfortable couch, bus seat or long plane ride.

The struggles of traveling like this: it doesn't help my health. With the inconsistent meals it's hard when your allergic to things, with the no sleep, lots of caffeine and different water and trying-to-catch-the-next-bus-stress you know your face is going to be breaking out. And when you get sick do you take a night off and sleep? ... Instead I traveled to the other side of London for curry :S why? Maybe I just couldn't resist the offer of good, authentic curry or maybe it was the fact I have less than a week in London or for the fact that is was my birthday. But whatever it was, something inside me talked me into going out when I shouldn't have. Travel struggle number 2 the consequences of bad decisions are usually immediate and harsh.

After traveling internationally since I was 13, after traveling to over 11 different countries you'd think I'd figure this out by now. But I still pack too much, still spend too much money, still make bad decisions and still don't get enough sleep.

But even if my bags weigh more than I do, even if I just wasted 15 pounds because Nick and I missed our bus to Southampton, even if I am coughing and sniffling as I drink this double-shot cappuccino - these adventures are making my days.

I have no idea where I want to be, or what I want to be doing come January. For the first time in my life - I have no idea what I want (or at least it's not very clear). But these days, of meandering around London are making my days; making my life. And I love everyone of them, thankful for yesterday, anxious for tomorrow, so happy I'm sitting in this wooden chair inside this coffee shop on London's street today. These days, these days of being exhausted because I have met so many amazing people and seen so many spectacular sites, these days of having a sore back because my bags are heavy with clothes and arts and crafts and medicines to keep me creative and healthy. These days of crashing head-on with life, with the way life is suppose to be.

These hectic adventure days I lead may kill me sooner than if I would have stayed on my front porch, but I will die I little wiser, a little happier.

1 comment:

  1. Man I love you and am incredibly jealous of all your adventures...but so so happy for you sister! Hope u start feeling better.

    ReplyDelete