Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Living the width of my life

The days are dwindling down for me over here in Africa. Slowly but surely October 15th continues to approach, sitting right there around the corner he’s waiting for me. And what am I to do?! As I have a massive door to close behind me, this Jbay door of mine, I truly will struggle with closing and walking on – to walk down a hall filled with adventures and to walk towards a door that I don’t even recognize yet.

So what do I do?

I’m living it up, every piece of it! Because I am not merely living the length of my life, of my days, but I am living the width of it! Last Friday I went horse back riding here in the bay – a beautiful horse ride through green thickets, which broke open into sand dunes, exhilarating me with the feeling as if I were a desert rider. But soon enough the sea broke into view as it does every day here in the baai. And then my horse, Roxy, and I broke ahead of the group flying as fast as she could carry us down 10ks of beautiful South African beach.

This morning, just down the sand from where I rode Roxy I went for a surf. The only lonely surfer at the break that morning with a dark cloud raised above my head there were only small, soothing waves that brought me some comfort.

I can’t believe this year is behind me, I don’t know how the days flew by so quickly or how my 23rd year approached so fast. But here I sit, 10 months living as a South African surfer down, 8 days away from an epic European adventure, a month away from my 23rd and a mere 35 days until I am back on American soil.

For now I reminisce on the great days, the adventures, the challenges, the hardships that South Africa brought me. I’ll process some more and tell you my findings. For now I look anxiously ahead at this hallway of adventure that is guiding me through 6 countries, 7 states and 3 months of a suitcase as a closet. I’ll keep you filled in on every step of the way. For now I look cautiously, curiously at the door that awaits me to open it come February 2012 a door that I don’t even know what color it is, hopefully through these upcoming ventures I will figure out what that door looks like and build up the strength to open it. And I am already excited to let you know what lies behind that door.



No comments:

Post a Comment