Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

perpetual ponderings


New York's hand grazes every individual that dares to place their foot's soul upon it's cement path ways. The city sings a Spanish lullaby around every corner, but then again down every block there is a Portuguese play and up the road you'll hear an Italian tune and down the way you'll ease drop on the sounds of the Chinese. Whatever language you speak, so does this city. The question I have been pondering is: Does this city ever want to see it's people sad? I feel life, I feel as if the city's walls truly care about it's civilians, although there is a lonesome burden, there is a weary heart that sifts and stays at a low fog among the city dwellers. I have fallen in love with this city, although I am miles, years away from knowing the pulse that makes this city beat. 
    A lot happened today, just like any other twenty-four hour period. We rode the train into the city. I travelled with a friend while Candice and Lacey gazed the thrift-store. I got lost in Time Square, we all 3 got lost in the pouring rain, I met a man from Israel due to my Hebrew tattoo (once again) we ate the best pizza in New York and sat in Leonardo DiCaprio's booth, before suffocating on gelato, and then wandered the streets of Greenwhich village aimlessly admiring. To only end up splashing in the fountain at Washington Square Park.
     But in the midst of all these little journeys the one that struck the most, the most sobering of them all would have to be exploring ground zero. Seeing first hand the devastation that was caused on September 11, 2001. Viewing the visitor centers and the memorials. I can't put into words, I can't describe on this short blog how these stories and people captured my heart. I was so young when it happened, so naive. I had no idea of the strength and the power that the towers represented. These homes of international companies had a soul, bringing the world together to create peace through the stability of trade. Two quotes throughout the entire visitor center stuck out to me: 
"On that terrible day a nation became a neighborhood, all Americans became New Yorkers." - Gov. George Pataki
"...It is my belief that my small paper crane will enable you to understand other people's feelings as if they are your own." - Sadako Sasaki
    These two quotes pinched my heart because even though I had no immediate hurt from the devastation, I was unattached when it happened in 2001, I can't fathom the emotions that live in this tragedy; even though I am in lacking, I am full. I was full of pain and hurt for all those lives lost, for all those families left behind to deal with the aftermath. I, a true Nebraskan, became a New Yorker; I, an on-looker from a distance, became a participant. Just by reading the stories, by seeing the pictures I became united with the rest of our nation, I understood other's feelings. The massive tragedy brought our country, and the world together in a way that cannot be placed into words, brought people together in love that has an un-breakable bond. 
   So in this world, where everything seems to be made to be broken, it also seems as if no matter how cracked or chipped it gets it is still priceless.... Dear New York, I do not know you and I still want to see you. Dear World, I do not see your corners and I still want all of you. Dear People, I do not capture your essence in its entirety and I will still try too, everyday with every fiber of my being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment