Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ma.chur.ity.

Maturity. It's an interesting thing. A characteristic trait that many, if not all, of the people surrounding me believe they hold. It is a characteristic dent in some one's molding that if you were to tell them was not there, or only came out now and then - they well, would get defensive, very defensive.

But maturity is an interesting thing (like I said). But I see it as something that is very obvious, something that if you really wanted you could easily sit down and say this is the fertilizer I need to grow in this direction. Although, possibly obvious, I regard it as one of the hardest to acquire and secure.

Personally I believe maturity is more than just age, it's more than just being responsible, it's more than having some grey hairs. I could see a 50 year old, grey haired, successful man - none of those characteristics would tell me if he is mature or not, which a lot of the world probably disagrees with.

I was thinking the other day how in a few months I will be 23. When most people approach a birthday, they say they feel so old, or they are astonished at how old they are. Honestly, it feels very natural to be turning that age - I could stack a couple more years onto it and I don't think it would phase me to much. Although, I don't know how mature I am. Because I am positive when I am 32 looking back I will only see the immature, naive, too proud, little girl I am today.

And if I look back, I at least know I am a little more mature today than I was at 18 (thankfully). But the things that matured me, have been the complete opposite of what the world seeks after. I matured through not thinking in absolutes, I matured when I had to be objective even though my heart was pounding, when people 'good and bad, mature and immature' have taught me something. I have seen my immaturity in my lack of integrity and seen it grow as I have forced ethics and morals into those dark corners. There is one aspect (And may very well be the only one) that attributes so greatly to my maturity level and that is gaining humility. A characteristic that is not enjoyable in learning and obtaining.

So to me, maturity is not necessarily those grey hairs and numerous candles on the birthday cake, to me it's how much of your pride you can swallow (even when no one else knows your choking to get it all down).

[As I closed this blog I couldn't help think of that time Abraham Lincoln had a meeting with an individual in his office, the two men walked out of his office, the visitor looking disturbed and discomposed. As Lincoln said to himself, "I don't like that man's face" his secretary replied, "sir, I don't think he can help the way his face looks." And recalling not his physical features but the annoyance he allowed to escape through his brow Lincoln replied, "When a man has lived for 4 decades, he has no excuse to not be in control of his face."
Maturity is being level-headed and wise - I admire the way Lincoln lead a country of individuals who resented him and yet he never showed any turmoil on his face, always being in control of himself. Because there is nothing in life we can control outside of ourselves, but we do have the choice to how we react and live - and our maturity shows through every face we make.]

No comments:

Post a Comment