Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Nostalgic Nights



My younger, bigger brother is with me (well he is actually fast asleep on my bedroom floor at the moment) but he flew over the large pond from the Yankee side of the world to come to South Africa, to come see me.

Our days have been leisurely and lovely – with the Billabong Pro having off days the past two days it has allowed me to give my full attention to Kellen (and Gunner his mate who joined him for this African adventure). Yesterday, their first day here in Jbay was quite chill – showing them around the town and teaching them as much as I could about South African culture.

While today got off to a chill start, and a walk to the beach this afternoon - it was topped off at the lion park (which was amazing) and then we drove onward to PE for the premiere of Soul Surfer (that we, CSA, were hosting) that went amazing as well. So our time in the sunshine has been enjoyable and relaxing so far.



But my time in the night may be my favorite with my little brother. We grew up sharing a room for years, with our bunk beds we would always stay awake late into the nights, either laughing or annoying one another. And now here I find us – sharing a room, again – ages 22 and 21 and on the other side of the world. On the other side of life.

These night times definitely bring me into a bit of a nostalgic state, so thankful for my childhood, for my family, for my brother. Kellen and I both have a ridiculous habit of sleep talking – sleep talking a lot and quite loud actually. So the first night with my American brother in my African home consisted of us waking one another up with our random dreamy bursts and both of us shooting up in our beds, talking in our sleepy state to one another or to ourselves; I guess we’ll never know. A habit formed because of our late night shenanigans as kids; possibly.

And night two didn’t necessarily give me nostalgia for those past childhood days – or make me reminisce on the attributes my brother and I share. But it made me thankful for the people we are today and for the friendship we have developed. Sharing our hearts we talked about life and things we don’t tell others and then to cap off our ‘goodnight-sleep tights’ we prayed (just like those childhood days). But instead of it beginning with ‘now I lay me down to sleep…’ it began with a little more maturity, a little more vulnerability.

I love South Africa. I love surfing. But those things do not match up to the love I have in my heart for my baby brother. I want him to be on every adventure I take for the rest of my life, I want him to have the best and nothing less, I want to know his entire heart and bear all of his burdens.

But for tonight I will sleep soundly – because I am warm in my African home after a day of playing with lions and I have my brother sound asleep right by my side.



No comments:

Post a Comment