Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Exploration Mode... Not reporting mode



First off I believe I need to apologize, for not writing in such a long time. Blogging like facebook tends to get placed on the back burner of my life. And then I forget that I am in South Africa, alone - I easily forget when I am alone - and I remember I need to tell those dear ones at home what in the world is happening here on the other side of the world...

So, today is Wednesday, today was a long day for work - full of meetings and elongation of my 'to-do' list. But Sunday was spent in a car driving back to Jeffreys Bay from the Western Cape. I traveled to the Western Cape from Jeffreys Bay with two mates for ten days. No day by day blogging, or moment by moment capturing. But that's not because it didn't affect me, that's not because I didn't love it.

After only my third full day in Cape Town (which the first 3 days were full of touristic tourism) I came to a few realizations...
First off, the more you explore - the more captivating, enchanting, and enticing South Africa becomes.
Secondly, I have never physically-literally felt so up-side down in my life. I blame it on all of my map gazing that I have done throughout my years, I have the world's map ingrained in my head - so I could picture it [longitude and latitude and all] where I used to stand in the middle of America and where I stood on Cape Town's water front coastal shore line. I stood on a giant rock, gazing at the harbor watching the water flow to us from the South Pole, seeing the curvature of the earth flow with the mountain range. I had to check and see if the change was falling from my pockets because I felt like this soil was hanging me by my feet. It was the moment it hit me hardest, just where exactly I was.
And my third realization... I now completely understand why people argue for Cape Town - why they argue that she may be the most beautiful of all our world.

The atmosphere of Cape Town is breathe taking and addictive, the food ravishing and
the people, well okay Cape Town isn't packed full of South Africa's sweethearts, but majority of the people I've encountered have been quite lovely.

The winding roads, the strong sea scent, the countless accents, the delicious delicacies, the sophisticated yet aged architecture and the intriguing insight that resonates in each culture that makes up this melting pot of a city ... Well they have changed me. Changed my world, widen my views and my perspectives. They have entranced my heart with such a sweet, sweet aroma.

I'll write more descriptive accounts of exact places I went too, exact emotions I encountered. But this was my schedule for my ten day venture to the western cape...

Day 1: Driving (driving through green, fogged mountains - through villages and towns with locals and home-made jams)

Day2,3,4: Cape Town Tourism. Waterfront, Long Street. Going to bays, going to
shops, drinking coffee, sitting in book stores. Attending the Colour Conference.

Day5,6,7,8: Somerset West, Strand, Stellenbosch. Coaching surfing lessons. Office work and helping with a school program with a local ministry. Touring a township. Tasting at a local winery.

Day8,9: Kloof Street (known for their hipster chic-ness). Cape Town University (known for their stunning campus). Hermanus (known for their whales).

Day 10: Driving the garden route back to Jeffreys Bay. (passing mountains and forests, through tourist towns, and passing the world's largest bungee jump)

So, there truly is lots to tell. Loads of insights and revelations. Pictures that need to be spread from my memory into your imagination. Unfortunately, I am in exploration mode, I have been in introspective mode these past couple weeks - and that mode leads me no where near reporting mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment