Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Missing nature in a tech society

There has been an intruding thought in my mind these past few days. It actually has been appearing on and off for years now but lately I can't seem to get it out and I am beginning to wonder, do I just kick it to the curb again? Or do I find a solution or explanation? 
   So here's my thought ... "The way we have grown as a society/culture the lifestyle we have accepted and adapted too, is that shortening us to living at our full potential? To fulfill our full potential of our emotions, of our actions for justice; Is our full potential to truly be deliberately living being numbed by the world?"
   I believe the thoughts first came to me just by observing the life style we live in today. Seeing how we connect to everything and everyone through technology. The way we travel by car and talk by phone (the way I am getting my anti-technology thoughts out through blogging, ha). The way we are so disconnected with the earth. We walk on cement, we sit inside walls, we communicate through wires. Everything in our lives has begun to be filtered through these new inventions of our lives. If my craving for nature wasn't so large, so demanding, I don't think I would  ever even have noticed it. But I'm wondering if by coating so much of our life by these things if it has indeed numbed some of our senses. 
    I started to be more convinced by my ponderings when I started not only to look at us today, but looking at humans decades before us. We can read the quotes, the writings of anyone who lived in another time from us; Lincoln, Thoreau, Eisenhower, Wolfgang Von Goethe, Lao Tzu, Bonaparte, the list goes on and on. We read their quotes, their writings, manuscripts and they are men of passion, of leadership, men who are in touch with their emotions and using them to change the world in a monumental way. Are we doing that? Yes, we have incredible leaders in our day today that are changing the world and are stepping up and are writing down quotes that will be remembered for decades. But are the leaders we have today as emotionally attached to our world and to its people as the leaders were a hundred years ago? And does that make a difference even if they aren't? 
   I believe it does, I think if your feet are on the dirt and if your breathing in the air and allowing your hands to touch the leaves and branches and touch the skin of another then you are more attached. I believe that by having so much technology has numbed some of our senses and has begun to separate us from relationships and true heart-felt passion. It has detached some of those wires that spring from our heart that we need in order to do some actual justice on our earth and to actually see a change that goes deep enough to strike the core of the issue. 
    But can I complain about technology? Is this con of technology taking away from our emotional senses good enough reasoning in light of all of the pros it has brought us and in light of all of the progress it has created for our world? I'm not sure. Personally I say naturally, heart-felt, emotional, passion is more important and is most important; but I am just one in the sea of 8 billion. So is this issue grave enough for our entire world to begin thinking about, to begin embracing, to begin balancing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment